If you want to opt out of this worldwide experiment that is currently taking place regarding GMO safety then your best bet is to eat organic.
If you haven't already heard about the negative health implications discovered from studying animals that are fed genetically modified foods, then I would recommend watching the documentary GMO OMG. Once you learn about the consequences of consuming GMOs you may want to spend a little extra time in the grocery store reading ingredients.
Avoiding GMOs is easy once you know what to look for:
1. Learn what crops on the market are currently approved GMOs.
2. Always buy the organic options for foods that are typically GMO.
3. Packaged foods can be tricky - a package can say organic even if some of the ingredients are not organic (i.e. may only contain 80% organic ingredients). One example could be organic corn chips where the main ingredient is organic but maybe the vegetable oil is not - vegetable oil can include soy oil, corn oil, canola oil, and/or cottonseed oil - all of which are GMO unless they are organic.
4. Learn the different names for corn-based ingredients and make sure those are listed as organic.
5. Look for the Non-GMO Verified Project logo.
Contact Shawna today for Nutrition Consulting or Raw Food Classes to learn how to ensure you have a good nutritional foundation for your journey to vibrant health.
Shawna Barker BSc., RHN is a nutritionist, college instructor, and raw food educator.